Friday, October 31, 2014

Thriller Night!

Do you recognize the house below? Neither did I until I took pictures of it and then the next day I checked my Instagram account and found that a bunch of other people took pictures of this exact house and labeled it #thrillerhouse. What! So yes, this is the Micheal Jackson "Thriller" house where the music video for the song that today will be played a million times was shot. Why didn't anyone let me know? I have no shame and I would have busted out my best zombie Thriller dance move right in the front yard had I been privy to the information at the time. (Now that I think about it, perhaps my lack of knowledge saved me from some major embarrassment!)






I was on an architecture and crime tour of Echo Park and Los Angeles when I happened upon the house. It is situated on Carroll Avenue, which is considered one of the first suburbs of the city. With its grand and majestic Victorian houses, a few sadly in a state of disrepair, it is easy to see why this would be a prime location to film an eerie and ghoulish music video like "Thriller" here.

Perhaps I must have subconsciously been drawn to the house, because "Thriller" was one of my favorite songs when I was 5. I also had a small crush on Micheal Jackson at this time. (Oh, how naive and oblivious I was!) My mom had an audio cassette of the Thriller album that I would listen to it in the car over and over to no end. I was truly a devoted fan.


Micheal Jackson aside, here are some of the other "ghastly" Victorian houses, in honor of Halloween, to be seen on Carroll Avenue . I took pictures of every house on the block, but after looking them over, these are the ones I found to be most appropriate for the occasion of Halloween.




The gargoyle detail on the porch of this house is so beautiful and unique, in my opinion. I wish houses were made with this much attention to detail today!


We visited Carroll Avenue the first week of October and I was thrilled to see that many of the inhabitants decorated early for Halloween. If I had one of these lovely homes I too would go all out for Halloween.


Miss. Havisham? Is that you? 



Is it just me or does this horse have a very sinister expression cast on his face?


Above is the house they used in the TV show Charmed, which I never watched, but I guess is in keeping with my spooky theme because it was about witches, among other supernatural things, and featured Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan and Shannen Doherty.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello to Hello Katie! I would love to hear from you!