Monday, October 27, 2014

Views of Venice and Santa Monica

If you don't like buildings and sunshine, this might be a post to skip. Yesterday was my first time in Venice, although not Venice, Italy, but, rather, Venice Beach, California. We also visited Santa Monica, which is adjacent to Venice. I've been to Santa Monica a handful of times and was even offered a job in Santa Monica, but due to the traffic I declined the job and I decline to visit the city on most occasions on account of the traffic as well.

However, my to do list beckons me to visit distant locals, including the West Side of Los Angeles. You see, my "to do list" has been lost on several occasions and it has also gone through many revisions, but I am pretty sure a visit to Venice, California was somewhere on my list, which is where we ventured...in my Taxi flats. (Sadly I didn't picture my taxi flats in any of these pictures, but you can just imagine them in each local!)



Santa Monica Pier and umbrellas on the beach.




Casa del Mar Hotel, Santa Monica


Shutters on the Beach, Santa Monica. A place for a five star dinning and hotel experience.



Since I am an English teacher, I had to take a picture of the Deus Ex Machina Cafe, which in Latin translates to: God from the Machine. In Greek tragedy the actors playing gods for theatrical performances were literally lifted down from the sky and placed on stage using machines. The phrase has now come to refer to any plot ending with a contrived, sudden ending, in which the characters are saved from an unsolvable dilemma through a sudden introduction of a new character, power or event that inexplicably saves them from the aforementioned, unsolvable problem. I could go on, but I have already rambled enough!



Abbot Kinney, a developer and conservationist, looms large over the streets of Venice. He wanted to make Venice a cultural mecca, but instead resigned to turning it into the "Coney Island" of the West. (Is it weird that I thought he was Freud at first? What would Freud have to say about that?)


This is just a gallery I wanted to visit over the summer. They had a David Hockney show last summer, but I missed out. They are only open on the weekdays, so maybe I'll visit some other time, in my taxi flats I am sure!





The pictures above are the Cadillac Hotel. I love the colors. Below are some of the treasures I found inside including this Andy Warhol print and a tile lobster. 



Below is a random building which I just thought looked cool. Hey, I am not a scholar when it comes to architecture. I just snap and shoot at things that catch my fancy!


Well, this is the end of my Odyssean journey through a few places in Santa Monica and Venice. I know I didn't photograph the canals of Venice, but maybe next time. I still have many roads left in my shoes to travel!



Linking Up With:

4 comments:

  1. Venice & Santa Monica are always two of our favorite places to spend an afternoon whenever we get down south. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why! I definitely would love to spend more time here as it's so beautiful by the beach and there are many cool buildings. Unfortunately the traffic always prevents me from making the journey even though it's not all that far away!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pics! I've only ever been to San Diego. One of my favorite places. I'll have to visit farther south. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elora! I love San Diego. It's also one of my favorite places. You'll have to check out Southern California too!

      Delete

Say hello to Hello Katie! I would love to hear from you!