Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What's in a Name?: The Hello Kitty Exhibit

I am not sure that I've ever explained the name of my blog and come to think about it, I am not exactly sure where it came from. Hello Katie Girl was my screen name when I joined the Purse Forum years ago and then it somehow evolved into my blogging alter ego. Over time it just stuck. So it was only fitting that someone with a blog named after the famous cartoon kitty should visit the Hello! The Super Cute World of Hello Kitty exhibit at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles. This exhibit had it all: art, fashion, food, toaster ovens all covered with the adorable visage of Hello Kitty. What's not to love?


Below you will see my journey into the super cute world of Hello Kitty. And what a journey it was! I learned things that I never knew about Hello Kitty. For example, did you know that her favorite food is apple pie? Or that her best friend is a gold fish? The exhibit also posses important philosophical questions such as: can you ever have too much cute? After you see this blog post you can be the judge of that!




Apparently Hello Kitty all started in 1974 with this plastic coin purse. It's the coin purse that launched a thousand (or more) kitties!


The first part of the exhibit focuses on the numerous products that Hello Kitty has been featured on. Hello Kitty is unique because she was not a cartoon strip or TV series like other cartoon characters. She's strictly featured on commercial items, from bikes to lunch boxes and even a commercial jet. Hello Kitty endorses it all. You'll see some of the many examples depicted below.


Hello Kitty Robot 


Hello Kitty on your mundane, everyday necessities, such as Ducktape and toilet paper.


Going to school with Hello Kitty backpacks.


I have the bike featured below but in pink. Mine also has Hello Kitty faces all over the seat, which makes it even more awesome!


Hello Kitty Bento boxes are what's for lunch!


One of my favorite things about the exhibit were some of the curator's comments regarding various things. For example this one about men and Hello Kitty.


And here's the proof...


The second floor of the exhibit is dedicated to how Hello Kitty has recently influenced popular culture in terms of both fashion and art. Apparently Hello Kitty is quite the muse as you will see from the artwork she has inspired below.









Obviously the fashion was my favorite part of the exhibit. Below you will see some outfits inspired by Hello Kitty, the first of which are dresses worn on America's Next Top model and the others were worn by celebrities, including Lady Gaga.







Cute or too cute? Well, I'll leave that up to you. I hope you enjoyed my journey through the world of Hello Kitty. If you are in Los Angeles, I highly recommend dropping by to see this exhibit. It's not only cute, but whimsical and fun and they give you a Hello Kitty crown as the embarrassing picture below attests to. (I had to purchase the shirt.) What's not to love?


Linking Up With: Thursday Fashion Files

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was pretty fun! There was so much to look at in the exhibit. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a fun exhibit! I didn't realize Hello Kitty was never a cartoon! So many interesting products and fashion! I would love to see this if it ever comes to Chicago!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if it ever comes your way definitely go! It is amazing how many things they had there with Hello Kitty. I could only show a handful in this post!

      Delete
  3. This is so interesting! I used to love Hello Kitty as a girl growing up and I had pen pals and used her stationary. There used to be a Hello Kitty store in the mall and there were other Sanrio characters and it was one of my favorite stores. What a fun blog name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very interesting show. In California it seems like we have a Sanrio store in every mall! It definitely brings back fun childhood memories!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! Also I appreciate you hosting the linkup! They are always so much fun!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, wow! This looks like such a fun exhibit :) My parents used to take me to a local gift shop and let me pick out a new Sanrio goodie each week after dance class. This post brings back wonderful memories :)

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete

Say hello to Hello Katie! I would love to hear from you!