Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Birds of a Feather

This June my mission is to shop my closet more. Actually, that really should be my mission from now until the end of time. A few weeks ago I threw together this outfit with a mint blouse (it actually features yellow canaries that you can see in my Urban Preppy post from last year) and a yellow sweater with a parrot necklace to top it off. Originally, I paired all of this with jeans, but today I decided to take it to the next level with a striped pencil skirt. All of these items have been in my closet for at least a little while now.

All in all there is a lot going on with birds in the ensemble between the canaries, canary yellow sweater, and the parrot. As always, my parrot necklace became the center of much ridicule from my husband who decided to call the necklace "Big Bird". Sure, the necklace might be a little big, it might also look like something that your grandma had, but I kind of like it. I used to collect vintage jewelry and pins from garage sales when I was little and I had a pin just like it. It's always interesting what draws us to certain things, or in the case of my husband and my necklace, what repels us from certain things!








Shirt: Anthropologie
Sweater: J. Crew "Tipi"
Skirt: J. Crew no. 2 pencil skirt
Bag: Vince Camuto "Louise" clutch
Shoes: J. Crew "Valentina" in Mirror
Necklace: J. Crew
Sunglasses: Prada

Linking Up With: Style Elixir,
Oh Hey Girl, Style Me Wednesday, What I Wore, Style Me Weekly 

10 comments:

  1. I love the combo of colors and pattern! What is it with husbands having it out for birds? I bought some fab parrot curtains from Pier 1 a few months back, and my husband found great fun in making fun of those poor curtains. He was in luck as I decided they didn't really work with the rest of the room anyway! I am currently on a shopping sabbatical and am only shopping my closet right now, too. Have a blog post coming out about successes or failures of this effort soon. :) Stopped by via Style Sessions!
    - Amy @ http://www.thegiftedgabber.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, husbands truly have it out for birds! Kudos for also trying to shop your closet. I'd love to take a look at your post!

      Delete
  2. Love your blouse and bord necklace. Seafoam green looks perfect against mustard, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's sort of an unexpected color combination, but I think it works!

      Delete
  3. Essentially you are my new style icon. I basically want to steal everything from your closet, you are just too gorgeous. I adore that blouse and sweater together and with the stripes? You just nailed it girl, you look amazing! XO -Kim
    www.thethirtysomethinglife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Kim! I am not sure that I can be considered a "style icon" but that comment made my day!

      Delete
  4. I love the yellow and from the sneak peek I adore that shirt underneath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish you could see a little bit more of the birds on the collar and sleeves sticking out, but that's okay. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Wow, lady! This vivid color combination is amazing! I love everything about your look from the layers through patterns to the colors.
    Red Reticule | Red Reticule Collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not a color combination that I usually try, in fact it came together quite by accident, but I think it works. I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete

Say hello to Hello Katie! I would love to hear from you!